Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ambushed by Chai Tea

I was innocently sipping a cup of chai tea (cinnamon-y, nutmeg-y, etc.) when I was interrupted and set it aside on the counter for awhile. Quite some time later, I was doing some paper sorting and filing on the counter nearby and kept smelling something that was tickling my memory -- but I couldn't figure out what it was trying to say. Well, I finally figured it out! It was telling me that I needed to make a Cowboy Coffee Cake which I haven't made in years. The smells that were coming from that cold cup of tea were enticing me, and I gave in (without much resistance, I might add) once I figured out what they were prompting me to do. So, the coffee cake's in the oven, and the only missing piece is that all of you are not here to help us eat it. Wish I could pull you into my home for a cup of tea and some cake!

PS to All: We've certainly enjoyed all that has been shared via the blogs over the holidays!

Just so you get a true sense of what I'm saying, here's the recipe. :-)


COWBOY COFFEE CAKE

2 ½ c. flour

2 c. brown sugar
½ t. salt
2/3 c. shortening
2 t. baking powder
½ t. baking soda
½ t. cinnamon
½ t. nutmeg
1 c. sour milk**
2 beaten eggs

Mix flour, sugar, salt, and shortening till crumbly; reserve ½ c. To remaining crumbs, add baking powder, soda, and spices; mix well. Add milk and eggs; mix well. Pour into 2 greased and floured (or sprayed) ~8X1 ½” round cake pans or one 9X13” cake pan; sprinkle reserved crumbs over top.
Bake at 375° for 25 – 30 minutes.

**To make sour milk, add 1 t. vinegar to 1 c. milk and let stand while dry ingredients are prepared.

3 comments:

Jennifer @ Diving In said...

Mmmmmm. Think I can smell it! I might have to try it this weekend as we're having company. Sounds perfect for Sunday morning breakfast!

Unknown said...

MMmmmmmm...sounds great!!! We are always looking for something yummy to eat before school. Thanks for sharing your recipe and I will pray for you guys while I make some!!!! :)

The Wells Family-Jason, Gwen, Paige, and Lane said...

Yum! I love chai tea, too, so I'm sure that I will love the recipe you have shared. I'll have to try it soon!
I hope you were able to relax and enjoy a piece fresh from the oven.